Sunday, July 09, 2006

More Thoughts

Yesterday I posted a couple of pics of this area on tribal land. There are no signs saying keep off or warnings. If you were to drive through the reservation you would never even know you went past these places. People who live here know the residents don't want us in certain places and we respect that, it's really that simple.
When I was a teen, we used to go to those places and it wasn't a problem. One of the beaches shown has what is known as concretions, wave action has rolled small rocks until they are round. Then it was called marble beach.
The pics were taken by friends who live on the reservation and are Native American. I have a brother and a sister who are married to Native Americans. I have many friends there and in fact studied the Native American language for 2 years, as well as Japanese for 3 years and Spanish for one. I have participated in many ceremonies on the different reservations and still practice what I have learned to some small degree.
Why did I study the culture and language one might ask? Well it wasn't because of marriage or friends. We live next to one another, it just made sense to me to understand their culture and way of life and beliefs. Also to understand where they came from and where they are going. In the past there was a lot of discrimination by white folks, and to some degree still exists, as well as discrimination by Native Americans towards us. In some small way my efforts has helped to bring more of us together as brothers on this planet. Mutual respect one might call it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Quite admirable. I always think that if we take the time to get to know another culture it would go a long way towards peace and understanding of each other.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home