Saturday, August 05, 2006

Facial Hair On Men

Facial hair has been around for ever it seems. Cavemen onwards had hair. Probably had something to do with the inability to shave it or otherwise remove it. Clam shells, bone and steel have been used to get rid of it. I once bought a straight razor, like one used in barber shops, and used it a few times, or until I thought I would need a blood transfusion from all the cuts and abrasions. I guess if I had to use a shell or a straight razor I would grow a beard to.
Now it isn't that women don't have facial hair, I have seen some nice five o'clock shadows on women, but for now it is just men. I decided on this topic because of a friend who developed an obsessive compulsive disorder while growing what I call "face art". Then I began to notice what others grow and how it affects them. Interesting and humorous all.
This, what I will call a friend, but that term is questionable, from things that happened over the years I wouldn't see, and didn't want to, grew a beard each year for hunting season. Over the years it would happen several times a year for no particular reason. Being a homely little cuss it didn't do him much good to grow one, though he thinks he looks suave sporting it.
Anyway, he works at the same place I do, so we commuted together, for a couple of years, I dropped him off on a Friday and on Monday he trimmed his beard to a wrap around fu manchu and for the next year and a half preened it constantly, pushing the mustache part one way then another, brushing it down then across then starting the preening all over again. This took place for almost 3 hours a day I was with him, not including at work and at home. Well I teased him about the preening, swore at him, tried to embarrass him, and what ever I could to get him to stop. He wouldn't, so I said he would have to drive himself or I would thump his dumb ass if he kept it up. To this day he walks around work looking and preening like the village idiot.
Anyway, we don't speak much anymore, he can't understand I don't care if he grows a beard out and combs it over his head, it was the steady movement along side me that was the problem, kind of like having a hyperactive 5 year old sitting next to you.
So because of this I began to notice other furry faced friends, some never touch their face art, and others play with it all the time.
Where I work many have beards, goatees, mustaches, fu-manchus, and all other varieties. I even have asked why they grow what they have. Most say just to be different, yet if you lined them up they would all look the same. Kind of like the biker guys, long hair, beards, bike jackets, or vests, trying to be individuals but all looking the same. Just like the rebellious 60's, until now. many of the young had long hair and beards going against the man.
Oh well, enough picking on our furry faced friends, I am biased, you had more hair on your morning bacon than I have on my head.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

I didn't know about the clamshells. Learn something new everyday.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home