Sunday, July 16, 2006

This Week

This week I started to read a book and finished it. It was given to me by my sister, she picked it because she thought I would be interested in it. She hasn't read the book. It's title is "Flag of Our Fathers". It is the best account of battle in WWII I have ever read. It is about the lives of the flag raisers on Iwo Jima, from childhood to present day. More importantly their roles in the battle of Iwo and their lives after that.
I have been depressed all week reading this account, complete with my own nightmares and sleeplessness. Why continue to read it to the finish one may ask, having this effect on me. Thats the hard question. I really can't answer that here or anywhere else for that matter, in a way most could understand anyway. But if anyone wants a peek at what the horrors of war can do to lives, one should read this book.
It was written by a son of one of the participants of the battle and flag raising. He had to research what he put on paper, his father refused to talk about it, ever, after he returned home. The father would only say "the real heroes died there" period. He died a few years ago and the son took up this factual information and put it out for us. If you read carefully it tells us a lot more about the governments, morals, attitude, and so much more on the war. I encourage you all to read it!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

I am going to look for this book. I always think the best way to understand or learn about something is through apersons experience of it. Thanks for the suggestion.

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home