Tuesday, May 02, 2006

More News From The Firepit

Shutterwi and I were standing near the "pit" mulling over young people nowadays. Talked about summer jobs we in past years. I talked of working in gas stations, farms, and logging. Shutter related how one summer he must have got under his dad's skin for something because he found Shutter a summer job, this was in "ol Mass". I asked what the job was, he replied with a straight face, like this was a normal job, "de-beaking chickens". I couldn't say anything for several minutes because I was bent over in laughter and out of breath!
Well after I could talk, I said you gotta be kidding. And pray tell how do you de-beak a chicken? Well I will spare you the details, but I am sure of one thing, those chickens wouldn't be eating with their peckers!!!!! After some thought I asked how they could eat, well it seems they could still kinda peck the ground. I'm sure it would be like us trying to eat corn on the cob without front teeth!!! To this day I believe that these skinney faceless birds only made it to canned soup, I'm sure they would not have made a good chicken nugget.
To put this event in some time frame, I think this revelation came about the same time I found a hornets nest on an old ladder I had leaning against the house, lengthwise to be sure. Now being the biologist that Shutterwi is and a bee expert to boot, he did research on the same, I hollered over his deck fence "yo Shutter, you there?" "yeah, whats up" came the reply. Well I have a bee problem over here, says I. Well I could hear the patter of clogged feet before I could finish the sentence. He came around the corner with a big knowing smile on his face. Ok, where are they? He asked. I pointed to the nest. MMMMMM says he. Well he said yup, you got a problem!He explained what kind of bee it was, how they nest, what they eat, how they breed, species, phyla and a complete family history. And he says did I ever tell you how to treat bee stings?
Well after being stung one day, he explained to me how meat tenderizer in powder form add a little water, mix and spread would do the trick. Sounded hokey to me so I lived with the pain! Not sure if it works but you would have tender stings. If anyone tries this remedy let me know. Anyway, I said I know I have a problem, now that I know way more than I wanted to know, how do I get rid of the damned things!!!!!! MMMMMMMMMMM says he, I think I have some bee spray. He disappeared into the bowels of the tool shed and returned with a sizable can of spray and a 4foot stick. He handed me the stick, and says go knock the nest down and I will spray it. He was about 20 feet away, and I had a 4 foot stick. Well I haven't fallen for this trick since I was a kid, so I said, "whoa, wait here" I said I would spray while he hit the nest. Well he suprised me, he took the stick and the spray, so armed to the teeth he got rid of my problem, well at least the bee problem!
Tomorrow more of adventures of the firepit!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Shutterwi said...

Laughing out loud.

Although RWI you might want to mention we both do have college degrees and don't just stand around the fire in bib overalls chewing tobacco and picking our teeth with straw.

Dueling banjos anyone?

9:16 PM  
Blogger Shutterwi said...

Ya but you tried to eat the plastic grapes!!

From were I was standing (20 feet away) I thought the 4 foot stick was going to fly.

Still laughing out loud.

9:23 PM  
Blogger pissed off patricia said...

This is so good. I like the way you write, it's as though I'm standing there and listening to you.

I got to your site via a map at shutter's place.

As someone famous once said to somebody else about something, I'll be back. :)

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home