Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Reflecting on the G-Word

The other day a young fellow at work asked me if I believed in god, I said yes. He couldn't believe it. Now this is a 22 year old, was a valadictorian of his class, a very smart person. He is partly responsible for my studying the last couple years. We kind of tested each others knowledge. Any way, he said he didn't understand how someone with my aptitude could believe in what no one could prove. I said no one can prove there isn't a god either. I said it was all a matter of personal choice and beliefs, along with being raised surrounded by believers.
Now we don't argue points we discuss things and suggest readings etc.. He wasn't raised believing in god, and pointed out all the failings of the world, crime, wars, sickness, hunger a whole list of things. I said I really couldn't speak for god if there is one, I said he would have to study it, read about it and may or not believe in it all. I said I could give him an explaination, but I doubted it would be good enough. He said he heard all the arguments before, and I said I doubt I could add to them in any significant way. I explained to him there were lots of reasons for believing and just as many for not believing.
After some discussion I had a hint of what had taken place in his life, but I won't go into it here. But the discussion did make me think about my beliefs, and this time in history. I guess I'd have to say that my beliefs are stronger than they have ever been, for lots of reasons. Now I'm not a religious fanatic, nor a steady church-goer. You might call it spirituality in a sense. Now, don't get me wrong, I believe it is a personal choice and thats it. I don't look in judgement at those who don't belive as I do. I don't appreciate when others try to tell me how and what to believe either.
You all have heard the latest, the evolution vs intelligent design thing. I agree that religion need not be taught in schools, but I do believe that kids should be taught that it exists and what it is about, like history. If someone wants to believe we came swinging out of the trees so be it. It seems science like to use rats and monkeys, mostly rats to test vaccines and diseases etc., because they are similar to our own systems, maybe we evolved from rats instead. But I can't be too sure, I see a lot of people monkey around!
I can be sure that I will get alot of guff over this blog, after all I might irritate someones sensibilities. Oh well, I've been known to chafe a few butts. Come to think of it, I've wondered if the same people that harp on the separation of church and state, are the one that supported removing childrens books of my time from libraries because they were too violent while letting their children play x-boxes and other video games that show, killing, rape, mutilation and other forms of depravity? Oh for the paradoxes of our times, heh heh.

1 Comments:

Blogger Spadoman said...

Check out this site. It is about a "church" that was made up to make a point about the intelligent design vs. evolution. It is parody and satire, but drives home the idea that if we're going to teach children in our schools intelligent design theories, why not this one about the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

The real problem of teaching intelligent design theory is that it varies so much from religion to religion. Each "man" has his interpretation. Which one do you teach? Invariably it comes down to Christian school boards teaching their beliefs.

I agree that what should be taught is there is the existance of many beliefs, not the teaching of christianity.

Check it out, remember, it's parody:

http://www.venganza.org/

5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home