Saturday, October 28, 2006

What A Life

Today is a good day for me to feel sorry for myself. I don't do that often, but life is chafing my ass, lately. I am angry, and that's what it takes to bring about change in life for me. I am also tired of wondering how I am going to make it from week to week, day to day and so on. Life isn't much fun struggling to survive. At my age I should be winding down and starting to enjoy life, not struggling to eat.
Jobs are hard to come by in this land of milk and honey in northern WI, so I make very little, basically I am working for insurance, not good insurance, but insurance. I had surgery on my hand a few months back and it didn't work, so my fingers are numb and getting worse. The job I have damaged it and would continue if I let it. I miss work a few times with doctors etc., and can't afford the time off. Workmen's comp only pays if you are off for seven or eight days so I haven't been able to collect for the time off. The job makes you come in and do light duty rather than pay you to be off work, even if it isn't in every one's best interest. They seem to think every employee is ripping them off, and couldn't possibly be the jobs themselves that harm employees. If you get hurt at work you in effect are punished in lots of ways. The brass don't talk to you, you do some meaningless work, you have to have drug tests and breathalyzer, and can't get raises if raises come while on light duty, and that doesn't mean you get the raise after you are off it either. You just miss the raise period.
It seems they feel you are either lying about the injury or trying to make money off them. These are just some ways the American worker is being treated in the workplace. All the while making record profits. I am all for profits, and competition, but not on the backs of the people paying the price.
I will go back to school somehow, and I plan to fight industry somehow in the future to protect the American worker. I am sure at this point industry has pissed on the wrong leg this time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home