Thursday, May 04, 2006

Ho Hum-Oil In The News Again

On the way home from work, there was a short blurb about gas and what an analyst had to say. He stated it was all due to capacity, capacity, capacity! Also today it was reported that gas supplies grew this week and the price of oil dropped a couple bucks. It was also reported that our consumption is and was just slightly higher than a year ago!!
As I have said before my degree is in policy studies, economic policy with an environmental emphasis. I would still like to know what an analyst is. Makes me wonder if I am one and don't know it. I think what you hear about oil analyst are talking heads, working for the energy producers, mouthing what the companies want them to say. Then everything fall apart when they "predict" oil price increases. I can see it now, holy cow the analyst s all say this and that, and like magic the prices rise. I wonder where I can get one or two of those crystal balls they use.
I looked at a few sites that tells us what goes into the price of oil. Guess what? The graphs and info is no different than what they would be for anybusiness!
Now as for price gouging, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that something is amiss with oil producers saying the price is due to high costs and jittery markets to see we are getting ripped off on a monumental scale, with record high profits!
I do know this, I don't believe the oil producers should be the ones producing ethanol. If we want to see a cheaper option for normal gas. Fuel should be produced by other entities and sold at gas stations not owned by the oil producers. If the big guys do it, it is like the fox guarding the hen house.
Dubya says he wants the oil companies to invest in alternative energy research. Sure, and I the odds are like me winning two huge lotteries in one week!
The White House is sending letters to the big guys asking how they are going to spend their profits! Now that one made me laugh it was so damned stupid. I have news for Dubya, they aren't going to tell him. They may give him another run around, but a straight answer? Ya right!!
Legally I don't think they have to, and shouldn't. If they feel they were gouging us, then investigate and fine the hell out of them. But I think it is all sabre rattling, and as usual it will all come to nothing, as sad as that may sound!
This administration is fighting for ratings not the truth, and damned sure not for us. I hate to say this folks, I never ever thought I would think this or feel this, let alone say this, but my faith in this country is at an alltime low. I have always considered myself a patriot, we have and had our faults, but man oh man, we have one messed up country! We have to brace ourselves, because this will take years to overcome. And sadly, we will be changed forever, how I'm not sure, we could come out better for it, I hope we do, and we need to remember this time and be determined never to repeat it. The US isn't done for, don't get me wrong, I hope I live to see it strong once again!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home