Sunday, June 11, 2006

Sunday

Well, I took the fender off the van, pounded the dents out, put it back on and can't stop it from hitting the door. Frustrating, but I'm determined to fix it. Has to be out of shape in some way. Well I will continue the pounding and prying today.
As I had my morning coffee, I had a whif of the past literally. I'm not sure if the smell was real or just a ghost of the past. In any event, it reminded me of one of my grand fathers, he lived alone for all the time I knew him, a typical old bachelor, not given to cleaning much. He was orderly but not given to real cleaning. Well as I have said before, he had no electricity, and no running water, so light was by kerosene lamps, water was hauled from the town pump. He cooked on an old wood stove. The house was kind of big, but only 3 rooms were used for many, many years. I remember the smells there, wood smoke, kerosene burning, lard from cooking, dust, old leather, wool, and chewed tobacco. He had a news paper on the floor with a can for spitting in, now you have to understand he didn't always hit the can but it landed on the paper. He was an old trapper, so he had many old traps of all kinds in a room off the living room. I used to like to play with them. Some I could open, others were too strong for me to open as I was pretty young. There were boards used to stretch hides on, and other things I don't remember what they were. But while my older brother talked to gramps, I played or sat and listened to gramps talking about things from the past. But somehow I had a smell from his house today and it made me think about how often that happens. I am not crazy, I don't think anyway, but I sometimes smell things that remind me of past times, mom, dad, aunts, military, farms etc.. So I guess today I just thought about that. I used to laugh when my kids were small, and yet today, they can tell which pillow I use, where I sit, and what I wear. I asked before how they knew, they say, "I can smell you dad". MMMMMMMMMM maybe I should wear stronger deodorant!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes dad that is very true....i used to love sleeping with your pillow when you were gone:)

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home