Friday, August 18, 2006

Bio-Ethanol in the Northland

There is some talk in the area of using forest waste to make ethanol for use as a fuel and some talk about bio-diesel fuel. Both of which I support. A paper mill in the town I work in has applied to possibly use the wood waste to make ethanol, as well as paper. I hope it works and provides a few more jobs as well as provide a source of alternative fuel.
I worked in the environmental field for a while after college, and damned near starved to death up here, but my interest is still there. Shutterwi can tell you that I love compost and can talk on it for hours. I started using a barrel then a small bin, then 6 huge bins. Composted everything from food waste to paper, to paper mill sludge. I did some work in farm run off and no till planting and recycling. I was also an advisor(paid) to help college students at our local college, compost the college food waste and recycling.
In a local paper there was an article on a composter you can use in the house for food waste and small amounts of paper. It sounded good and I would like to see one in operation. Lots of things work, but all take a little work and patience. There are lots of ways to process food waste such as vermiculture (worms eating food waste then using their waste) . Then you can harvest the worms for fishing!
Between composting, recycling and reusing, I was able to go from 4, 30 gal garbage cans down to one can, and my daughter was small and in diapers! And composting and recycling can be done by anyone to reduce what hits our landfills. We have a long way to go and I am certainly willing to talk about it, we can do it, the question is will we?
A while back I said that economies need to become more local as much as possible, for food, possibly fuel or energy alternatives, in a local paper today was an article on eating habits getting healthier in the area, in part due to organic produce being grown in the area and more people buying it. I also believe in bio-intensive gardening, being able to grow enough produce in a 4 foot by 20 foot plot, to feed one person for 1 year. I haven't been that lucky but in theory I guess you can. Using compost and double digging the ground over a five year period to get the plot to produce like that.
Ahhhh, so much to do and so little time!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Well I believe you inspired me to compost. I have always wanted to.

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home