Sunday, May 28, 2006

A Day in The Garden

Yesterday I put a new blade on the riding mower, I had to after an encounter with a cement block the last time I mowed. My daughter and I had to make some adjustment to it also, from the same encounter. After that we did some weeding in the garden. I rent from my father-in-law, so we have a spot in the garden, that wifes mother used to have. Since her death a few years ago the garden has gone to weeds and unkempt. Our goal was to bring it back to life, save all the flowers growing in the weeds, and creating a new spot for some tomatoes and what not.
So, my wife, and two of my daughters and I went to work, actually, they worked, and I bagged the weeds. I never realized 13 bags of weeds could come from such a small area, and still only be 90% done. I wanted to plant some tomatoes, because I'm usually at Shutters garden in mid summer delighting in the fruits of his labor, and plastic fruits at times eh, eh.
I started weeding also, but it was decided by the girls, that at my pace, by the time I got done the weeds would again be in full bloom where I started. Well I have to agree with them, I'm not as quick as I used to be! The wife at first tried to help me bag, but after getting a shovel handle up side the head, and fork tine to the leg, she thought better of helping me! And after letting me know I was a certain part of my anatomy, she took her place next to the other girls. Well it looks great, they did a fine job. I love flowers, but don't know one from the other by name, I love the colors, but they managed to save many more than I could have picked out.
I will still sample Shutters bounty, I want to continue a neighborhood tradition, and I will tolerate the rubbery fruits, come to think of it I have to check the progess over there!
So, I will end here, please keep in mind this week end, and what it means, the sacrifices paid so we can pursue all we can and have. And the sacrifices being paid to this day. If only for a few minutes, put them all in your prayers. God bless and be safe!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi dad...yes that was quite a day...and quite a laugh when you hit mom upside the head...i never thought those words would come out of her mouth:) oh well i got a good tan out of it and some time spent with the family! i love you

1:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home