Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Compost Bins

There are many commercial containers available, or you can find them on line. Or you can build them yourself. I chose the latter. I started with a 55 gal drum, drilled holes all over it for air, it had a sealing ring on top. I would put material in it, add to it until full and tipped it over on it's side and rolled it to mix and aerate it. In a few weeks I had 20 gals or so of nice black dirt. Soon I had a need for much larger containers so I found six large 5x5x5 foot containers and lined them with 1/4" mesh screen around the sides and bottom. They had a drop front door so was easy to turn the compost when needed. I would fill one with material use one to place the material during turning. and so on. So every other one was used for turning, and the last one to put finished compost. I let the finished material set for a month or so to totally stop being active then used the fresh soil. I had these bins at a friends house in the country, in a wooded area, and between my family and his we would put several 5 gal pails of food waste per week into the pile. Now keep in mind in rural areas here we have bear, and coons, fox, wolves, coyotes etc.. Not once using food waste did it attract animals. The microbial action must in some way be noxious to them. And not once was odors a problem as we controlled the temperature to under 145 degrees. Then we had yards of nice fresh soil for the gardens and around trees. My friend still uses a couple for his household waste as it costs rural people per bag to dispose of anything so it is a real cost savings to him.
I am sure you can find plans on the net to build 4x4x4 foot bins cheaply, out of scrap wood and 1/4 inch mesh screen. Or build new if you like.
I have put whole pumpkins and squash in the working pile and within a few days they would be mush, and a few days after that would be totally gone into nice soil.
Now a word of caution, don't use pet waste from dogs and cats, there may be harmful microbes in it that don't get killed if the pile is not hot enough. Human waste also avoided. Don't put leaves from black walnut trees either as the lignin kills other growth. Also use pine needles in small amounts as it can create problems also.
If you really get into gardening, soil test kits can be purchased or you can have the county extensions test the soil and then add commercial fertilizer to balance what is lacking.
If anyone needs any advice I am willing to help in any way.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

Now see I do have a black walnut tree so thank goodness for this post.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home