Saturday, January 27, 2007

Reflectiong On The Past- 1965

Most of us can remember the mid to late 60's and later, the Vietnam War, anti-war protests, daily body counts, news reports and all the rest. I joined the military in 1965, proud to serve. It didn't take long before I heard people say they wouldn't be caught dead in uniform, spit on, given the finger. I was never at an anti-war rally or protest so I never seen signs of "baby killer", "killer" or the like. But I did see them on the news. It seemed the people were not just against the war, but against the men serving also. And I can tell you I hated it!
I had family serve in WWII and Korea, I knew war was a nasty business, but when called to serve you went, patriotism was what it was.
I wasn't drafted, I volunteered, even that was looked down on. needless to say I didn't like that either!
But I do remember talking to my buddies, with them, discussing the protests, the war, Americans and all that was going on. To a man, I don't recall anyone feeling that the protesters gave a rats butt about us servicemen, but wanted the war stopped to stop killing the Vietnamese. I remember girls breaking up with guys because they were in the service and on and on.
So I can only say I know how I felt seeing this, and most of the people I served with. Yes I said then, and I say now, war is bad. Yet as far as I can see into the future some nut some place will cause them. My point is this: I know how I felt, and I get a severe pucker factor when I see protests, because no matter how it is done, it affects the men and women serving, and I just can't do anything that will give them a feeling of hopelessness of what they are doing, and the feelings of families in all wars past and present who have lost loved ones.
Yes I talk on blogs, even write political reps to end it. But I just can't do anything to hurt our troops.
I believe we all must do what we have to, I thought so then and I believe it now, just as at this point, most of our troops serving have volunteered to serve, and have several times. So I pray for them, and hope they all come home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home